National Energy Conservation day is celebrated across India on 14th December to reduce energy consumption for developing a better future for the upcoming generation. Nowadays, numerous people use energy randomly, although the sources for generating power is limited. Therefore, the government takes this initiative to make people aware of the necessity of saving energy. People need to recognize the aspects of energy access to protect our environment and focus on energy conservation to develop and secure a prosperous future for the next generation.
Objectives of National Energy Conservation Day
The government bodies execute the National Energy Conservation Day concerning the following objectives, which are,
● To make the people conscious about the significance of saving energy.
● To make people aware of energy-saving effectively and efficiently.
● To promote energy conservation by conducting conferences, debates, and competitions, every individual can freely share their opinions.
● To encourage and educate people to use only the necessary energy to reduce the amount of energy loss.
Energy production has several impacts on the environment which causes various issues like climate change, drought, acidification, and the rate of waste generation increases significantly. The harmful effects of generating energy need to be reduced. Power plants are mainly emits harmful gases like CO2, CO, NOx that negatively impact the environment and affect the health quality of people. Due to the rise in utilization of power plants nowadays, the issue of global warming is increasing day by day, which adversely affects our Earth environment. Due to these concerning aspects, the government authorities execute National Energy Conservation day every year to limit power plants’ use.
Rural Innovation and demand for energy
Rural Innovation is one of the most distinctive aspects due to which high energy is utilized. Because of this factor, the government now switches to the production of renewable energy sources that can help reduce the production of energy. However, access to energy is a privilege for the rural areas as according to some reports, just 65% of enterprises in rural areas have access to energy. Lack of energy access has some significant drawbacks in terms of developing a country that impacts the economic conditions of a nation. Long and frequent power cuts are also significant issues in rural places that affect rural innovation and development. Hence, government authorities try to solve this issue by increasing the accessibility of energy to local households. Government bodies focus on generating renewable energy to maintain the aspects mentioned above. As per the survey, the demand for energy in rural places is 39 kWh per month, which is not at all easy to provide by saving energy.
Energy basics: what people must know
Every person should have proper knowledge of energy consumption and conservation as it can help make important decisions that can reduce energy usage. There are various energy sources present like biomass, geothermal, hydropower, solar, etc. A human being should recognize all the aspects stated earlier for saving energy efficiently.
The need for energy and correlation between population and energy
Energy requirements are not the same among males and females due to gender inequality. The energy access programs that are developed to enrich income-related activities play a significant role in developing nation’s economy. Concerning some reports, amount of energy access and equality is more in almost every country irrespective of its population. It showcases that women and energy are crucially interlinked with each other. In Brazil, it is found that the nation achieved a 2.8% growth from 1990 to 2010 in terms of energy access, and it is one of the fast-moving countries in terms of access to electricity. The requirements for energy in the country depends on the number of women and men and their household structure.
Policy support concerning Energy Conversation
Bureau of Energy Efficiency has taken several initiatives to save energy and promote various ways to reduce energy consumption. Energy Conservation Building Codes are the government bodies’ primary policy to promote energy access and energy efficiency in the construction industry. Policy support is of utmost importance for electrification as well as energy conservation. As per the norms of the ECBC, builders have to use 40-60% less energy at the time of developing buildings. Apart from that, the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency is another policy implemented by the government bodies for strengthening energy efficiency in the market. By developing innovative policies and strategies, India’s government bodies want to reduce the energy consumption rate. Ujala scheme is another initiative taken by the authorities of India for the electrification process in rural places. This initiative is deployed for using LED bulbs as a replacement of incandescent bulbs that consume a lot of energy. People can use LED bulbs to reduce their electricity bills also. Alongside this, to increase energy efficiency, the government bodies also aimed to increase the use of hybrid and electric vehicles and replace those with traditional IC engine vehicles.
Ways to conserve energy
In terms of energy conservation and increasing energy efficiency, people need to know how energy can be conserved easily. Some crucial and tactical ways to do that are listed below briefly;
● Replacement of the light bulbs: People need to replace the existing incandescent bulbs with modern LED bulbs. Its low energy consumption helps to reduce the use of energy and the electricity bill. LEDs consume 40 to 80 percent of energy less than incandescent bulbs. From a household to a gigantic building, all the places need to change the lighting system to conserve energy.
● Usage of smart Power strips: In standby mode, electronic appliances consume a lot of energy, known as Phantom loads, which is one of the significant sources of energy waste. 75% of energy is consumed by electronic appliances when they are turned off. Thus, people should start using smart power strips to reduce the amount of energy waste.
● Purchasing energy-efficient appliances: People should purchase a device with an energy-efficient rating. By seeing the Energy Efficient level, a person can quickly identify which one should he buy. Also, the operational cost of these products is significantly less as compared to traditional ones.
● Decrease water heating: Water heating in the household is another crucial reason for generating waste energy. Rather than purchasing a water heater that can consume less energy, people should reduce water heating. It can easily conserve energy efficiently and effectively.
● Insulation: By insulating homes properly, people can optimally reduce energy usage. It is one of the crucial ways to reduce utility bills. People do not need to spend a lot of money in winter as compared to summer days. The R-value is high in winter, and the resistance value is low in summer. Hence the value typically depends on the place where people live.
National Energy Conversation is very necessary nowadays as energy sources are decreasing each day and it cannot be regenerated. Coal, petroleum, and other stuff used to generate energy are limited on Earth, and people should be concerned about energy usage. Therefore, it has become our responsibility to save our beautiful planet by focusing on the environmental sustainability approach. People should take necessary measures to reduce energy usage as the adverse effects of chemical compounds doing havoc to our planet. The government bodies take the initiative regarding that, although people should be aware of the fact and change their behavior accordingly to save some energy used by future generations. By supporting each other and obeying the governmental norms, people can efficiently conserve energy with the help of which energy access to increase energy efficiency. In conclusion, we can say that government authorities nowadays should consider some steps to spread awareness about the National Energy Conversation day through which numerous people can engage in the day and ascertain their responsibilities regarding energy conservation.